Petroleum & curious decisions: Episode 1/3 (true story)
How long has the oil industry understood
climate risks? The American Petroleum Industry has been around for a long time now and a little bit of history shows that oil executives had a lot of information already available to them 50 years ago. This first episode looks at the early knowledge available in the 1950s-1960s in terms of the impacts of burning fossil fuels on the environment.
This comic was done in collaboration with Dr. Benjamin Franta, a researcher at Stanford University investigating the history of fossil fuel producers and climate science. Several of his articles were used as references for this comic series:
- The Guardian, On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry about global warming, 2018
- Early oil industry knowledge of CO2 and global warming, 2018
- The Guardian, Shell and Exxon’s secret 1980s climate change warnings, 2018
- Report on pollution to the American Petroleum Institute, 1968
- American Petroleum Institute Wikipedia page
- Edward Teller Wikipedia page
- Frank Ikard Wikipedia page
Sign up for a new sustainability cartoon every other Tuesday!